Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Meeting Muslims

For Brenda, I just overheard Ashley say that when Rome gave his testimony last night at the "Good News Gathering" - or "Crusade" - she cried.

So this is Matt again, since I have a quick minute here before breakfast. I was able to share with my first group of Muslims, and though it was intimidating at first though I felt confident as I had a friend share with me how she shares with her Muslim friends. But even with that little bit of extra knowledge - even enough to answer every objection at least from Muslims I encountered- I am convinced that the power to transform still and only rests with God alone. In two days I have had the opportunity to share with a group of Muslim women in the city and in New Japan, a village on the outskirts of the city, a mixed group of people that included Muslims, unbelievers, and Christians. Each time we talked for almost 40 minutes each. The first time I was with A.J. and our translator, Alex, and the second time I was with Mary Grace and Jack, and again with Alex.

Being in the village is very different than being in the city. People are more hospitable in the rural areas, placing more emphasis on making sure guests are attended to - much like my past trips to Kagedi in the years past, where the team normally goes when we come here to Uganda. In the city, it is almost like we are getting in the way of their busyness, in the villages, it is a priviledge to have guests, even guests who have a different "religion". Why? I suppose more value is placed on people when there aren't so many other things to distract you.

But both times the people thanked us for coming, but it was in the last time where a man named Surah - which is the name also given to the chapters of the Quar'an I believe - after our talking said he now wanted to read the Gospel of Jesus Christ himself, so he could know for sure what was true.

Please pray for Surah and his friends that the living God would open their eyes to the living Word and the beautiful gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

paynecounselor said...

Ok guys...it's Thursday afternoon and we have not heard anything in 48 hours...send us some news!!!!!

Ginger (Grandma) said...

All the blogs, pictures and text messages have been a blessing. God is truly good and He is being glorified through your work there in Uganda. Our prayers are with you and you are all missed! Love you all.