Thursday, July 23, 2009

How Many Muzungus Can Fit in the Back of a Pickup Truck?

Today we traveled to Pastor Francis' village, Mabaale. The team split up between two vehicles. Five of us ladies crammed into a car...that's right, five women in one car. Plus a driver. The rest of the team rode in a van. An intersting thing that I have experienced twice now in Uganda is that when one driver is ready to go - he goes. There's no caravanning here...it's every car, van or boda boda (motorcycle) for himself. So, our car was ready and our driver was off. Initially, I thought maybe we were in a race, then I remembered I was in Uganda! After a short and bumpy drive, we made it to Mabaale.

Our first stop was the home of Harriet and Augustine. For me, this started off a day of being humbled about my own life. Harriet and Augustine are pretty amazing people. They have three children of their own and have adopted nine others. Here's the twist, Augustine had an accident ten years ago that left him paralyzed and bed-ridden. So, Harriet, with her 12 children, take care of their home. And their home brings new meaning to the phrase, humble home. Next, they took us on a tour of their property, garden and the well where they draw their water. The distance from house to well was about 1.2 km as the puff pit viper mamba slithers (according to J.R.). The walk to the well went winding downhill through sugar cane and past a witch doctor's home. We felt like we were in "Honey, I shrunk the Kids." (Minus the witch doctor.) We saw the well and made our way back to their home. I must confess, about half-way up to the house I was out of breathe. Harriet and all 12 of her children walk this path every day, each carrying a five gallon jug to collect water for the day. That's a hefty commute.

Later in the day, a woman brought around a jug of water, a basin and soap so we could wash our hands before lunch. For me, this was incredibly humbling. To know how hard these women have to work to have a small amount of water - I certainly didn't want to use any of it. The scriptures about Christ washing the disciple's feet came to mind and took new life for me. It's a lot different when you can't just go over to your refridgerator and press a button and viola...water. The water she poured on my hands was like diamonds to me at that point.

Prior to lunch, Pastor Francis gave us a tour of his church and the church's school. We broke up into teams and shared with the different classes. My team included Mary Grace and Pastor Dave. We told the story of David and Golliath (as did several others). I was the narrator, MG was David and Dave was Golliath. It was a lot of fun watching Pastor Dave crumble to the ground defeated by David (MG). The kids liked it to!! The classrooms here are pretty similar to the ones back home, it you count the fact that they both include students and teachers. Other than that, picture dirt floors, brick walls, tin roofs, chalk boards and wooden benches. We were all very encouraged by what these kids are being taught - in the P4 class (4th grade) the Religion chalkboard had questions like: who is the head of the church?, what is baptism? and what is a missionary?. It's pretty awesome to see such things, along with prayer, taught and practiced in the public school.

After lunch our ENTIRE team crammed into a pickup truck. We had 14 adults piled into the truck bed! We rode like that (down the good roads of Uganda) for about 30 minutes to see another Presbyterian church. Now, this was a very remote area that we went to, so we couldn't quite figure out why they got the good roads. I figured it was because the tobacco farmers lived on that road. When we arrived at this next church, there was a crowd dancing and singing to welcome us. (Yes, Ugandan Presbyterians dance..shhh, don't tell anyone!) While we were there, they asked us to pray for a young boy who was recently in a severe accident. He sustained a head injury and also fractured his femur bone. I think this pretty much broke everyone's heart. I know it did mine, I was ready to go straight to the bank to get this child help. The day he was hurt, his family took him to the hospital in Kagadi, but they weren't equipped to help him. His parents were told to take him to Kampala - but they couldn't, due to lack of money. Earlier in the day I hurt my foot, I immediatly whipped out the first aid kit for some peroxide, bandaids and Ibuprofen. Wow, was this humbling. Here this child was injured far worse than I could imagine - yet unable to get any help. His life could potentially be affected or hindered by this for the rest of his life.

That's the jist of our day. For me, it was the most engaging, humbling and convicting day I have had here.

We also had some fun conversation with some of the women of the church. They asked us (the girls) about cooking and if we knew how. I think someone said "no" - so they asked "does your man cook for you?" - everyone got a big kick out of that!!

Be thankful for running water, 24 hour emergency rooms, all night pharmacies....and men that cook for you! :)

Blessings,
Jenna

ps - we had another crusade tonight as well - but you've already heard about those. :)

Oh yeah - Pastor Aaron was awesome (and a prankster) as usual!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Muzungus.....Beth told me what that meant last time she was there...so sound like you Muzungus made it just fine. I would have liked to have seen David and Goliath....hope someone got some pictures. Appreciate the blog and all the information. All the blogs are great. When reading you almost feel like you are there. Tell Alexis I hope she is feeling better. God's blessing to all the team. What a wonderful and fulfilling experience for each of you. We love you all and pray for you daily.

Ginger

Anonymous said...

I am so humbled by your words Jenna! What an awesome reminder....being thankful now has a new meaning for me.
We are still praying and look forward to reading more, more, more!
Love to all of you,
Beth for the Fuhrmans
PS-PLEEEASE tell Lindsay that Jack has now asked me three or four times about seeing your 'bat video'...he LOVED the story and can't wait to see it for 'real'!
AND.....looking forward to more pics! haven't seen Austin yet. Did he really go with you or did he stay in Europe? haha...

Beth Owen said...

You precious, blessed people! How awesome to have eyes and hearts to see God everywhere you look. May the people here in America reading this blog also look for Christ and ask Him how we too may serve Him where we are living. We love you all and can't wait to hear more!!!
Beth Owen

Adam Coppock said...

Very encouraging thoughts Jenna. I pray that God is using this trip in a mighty way in each of your lives that each of you would see Jesus clearer and as more precious than anything this world could ever throw at you and may that cause you all to pour that love on others. I know these churches are refreshed by your presence and your faith.

Stephanie, I love you and miss you so much. I look forward to hearing all the stories from the trip. Juno is becoming non-responsive to your pictures and the very mention of your name. I know she is just faking it though. She just misses you too. I'm pretty sure you should give her a bath or something when you get back. That should build that relationship again. Love you and miss you.

Adam

Steph Jones said...

I'm so encouraged by what the Lord is doing in and through all of you! It is so neat to see God using all of your giftings. And I pray you will walk away more blessed than you ever thought and blown away by what the Lord did in Kagadi, etc. "And He is able to do immeasurably more than all we ever ask or imagine." Eph. 3:20

Jenna, have you encountered any mutant bugs yet? :) Love y'all!

Jordan Rae said...

Meep. These blogs are killing me...softly... with His words... okay, sorry. but seriously, I have to crack cheesy jokes like this because your blogs are so moving... I'm left in tears every time, even when yall are being funny.

Thanks for blogging! Its not like you don't have a million other things going on, but man, I dont know what to say. Since you've been gone, its been an intense time of prayer, overwhelming and good! my heart connected to your heart. good. I long for you with all the affection of Jesus Christ... its only right that I should feel this way because of your participation with me in the gospel from the first day until now.

BIG seriously BIG love.

Camille said...

Thanks for your update Jenna. What a great reminder to not take things for granted. What a blessing to hear how God is working in Uganda through each of you. We are praying for you and look forward to the new updates everyday.
Matt and Daniel,
We love you both and miss you. We can't wait to hear everything that the Lord has taught you. We are praying for you.

Chris Goodman said...

Great update Jenna. So true about the caravanning. Glad to hear the soccer game went well and Spencer didn't hurt anybody. I wish I could hear all the stories, I know so much happens in a day there. Let Jesus shine through your enthusiasm, smiles, service, and words. Love you all!